Monday, October 20, 2008

First Attempts...

and mixed results!
Sharon here. Here is my first attempt at doing the letters. These are just a test. I'll be doing something else for my project. I thought these were harder to do than I expected! I'm not entirely happy with these. I think the "H" is too small for the rest of the letters, and the "M" is too big. I've even cut it down a couple of times! I suppose that I'll get more consistent as I do more. The letters do look better when put on the background fabric!

These are my first attempts at making the jars. They were harder than expected too! But I think they came out pretty good. Not quite as "wonky" as I was hoping for, but OK.
My project is going to be a version of the witch's pantry. I'm thinking of saying "Come in and sit for a spell". I'm currently researching what ingredients one might find in a witch's pantry and trying to match that up with some of my fabrics.

8 comments:

kimberlym said...

I think your letters look great-I love the "o"!

dutchcomfort said...

They look great and I love that they aren’t equally sized!

Heidi said...

love the letters too, and the jars are fun too !

Brenda said...

great start. I wouldn't change anything on the letters. I think its more interesting when they're not the same size. I've found I've gotten more control over the sizes with more practice.

Mary Johnson said...

I think they both look great too.

My only comment would be on the corners of the pantry jars - to make sure the triangle pieces aren't too tiny that they disappear once you sew the blocks together.

We have this issue with HeartStrings blocks sometimes - that last little corner piece gets lost in the seam allowances if it's too small.

Twisted Quilts said...

I like your letters and your jars. I really like the one second from the right. are they lizards?

Sharon said...

Yes, I think they're lizards. Maybe geckos? Nah, let's go with lizards!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Don't worry so much about the size etc of the letters - they're great and they're going to change that much more when they lose seam allowances. Remember, they're supposed to be imperfect and wonky! The jars look excellent. As you get more comfortable making them, they'll get wonkier.