Saturday, October 4, 2008

House, Home or Pantry Quilt

Tonya here. Rather than call this a class, I've decided to go with Quilt Together. Except it's faster to type class so yeah, you'll see that too. I'll do a little bit of teaching, but mostly just coaching. Rather than call this the Fall/Winter Class I've gone with a specific set of topics that hopefully everyone can have fun with no matter where they live and what the season is. And I know everyone doesn't like to do holiday-themed quilts so this one is open to interpretation.

The goal is to have the quilt finished by the end of January, if not sooner. I say that with a wink since who knows when I'll finish mine.

This class is House, Home, or Pantry.

HOUSE: create Gwen Marston liberated houses or Tonya Wonky Houses. These can be as goofy or serious as you choose.

HOME: This is the broadest category of all. What does HOME mean to you? Interpret this one however you wish. For example, you could make a Log Cabin quilt and put a quotation about home in the borders. The most important part of home may mean your family: how about a quilt with the names of all your family and pets? Maybe an ode to your hometown.

Another option? The word HOME itself. It's a great way to practise making letters, especially if you make Ms the same way you make Es.

PANTRY: Inspired by MamaSpark's fabulous Witch's Pantry I'm writing a tutorial for making wonky bottles and jars. I'm going to fill mine with the witch's candy, potions, and ingredients for spells. But you could also fill your jars with chocolates, Halloween candy, Christmas candy. Okay, candy obsessed there for a minute. How about canned fruits or marmalade? And of course, the ever classic bugs so long as you can think of who would put bugs in their pantry. Have fun with it.

RULES: The quilts must include free-pieced letters and/or free-pieced or appliqued images you've designed yourself. No using someone else's patterns. You may include classic traditional quilt blocks (especially if you liberate them).

For this class you will need a Blogger account (not a blog, just an account) so that you can post to this class blog yourself. It's not hard, really. To join, send me an email at tartbr47@hotmail.com. I have to have your email addy to invite you. I'll send you an invitation to join the class blog and if you don't already have a Blogger account, it will prompt you to create one.

After joining, please write a post introducing yourself. Also a great place to try putting in a photo if you've never played with Blogger before. At the beginning of each post, please start off with your name. Also label posts with your name (and if you don't know what that means, don't worry.)

Any questions? Please ask. Now let's have some fun!

9 comments:

dutchcomfort said...

What a great class!! I hope to find me some time to play along.

Amanda said...

I'm already starting to get some ideas, so this should be fun.

Lisa said...

Okay, this will be great for me! I have committed myself to make a quilt for a raffle at our annual JDRF gala in January and the theme is Hawaiian.. so, after thinking hard and even 'talking' wiht Lisa Boyer of Dorky Homemade, I am gonna make Hawaiian homes the wonky way!!!! Sent you my email!

Juliann in WA said...

I will definately join in on this one. I have some great fabrics to do a Home sweet Home quilt.

Donna said...

yup, think its time for me to play again.... or at least try to keep up... gotta a germ of an idea, hope it doesn't hatch into a nest of spiders.... :-)

Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

Yes, please! Heck why not add another project to my plate! I enjoyed the hope quilt, like to give it a bigger try!

Anonymous said...

I'm interested to see the jar tutorial. About the bugs in the pantry- probably any mom of boys is going to have a jar of bugs in the pantry at one time or another!! My two are still small, so who knows if I can finish a quilt by the end of Jan, but I've been meaning to make a jar quilt for a while now... thanks for the inspiration!
~Jennifer

jmb_craftypickle said...

hotdog!!! I am totally going to finish this one.... :)
or at least start something REALLY cool! Thanks, and what a great idea!!!

jacquie said...

i sent you an email. this sounds right up my alley.