Sunday, October 5, 2008

Quiltpixie intro


Hi folks, I'm Quiltpixie :-) I do a variety of fiber arts, focusing mainly on quilting. I love the process of making a top, not so much the adding borders, backing or sandwiching... I often tie quilts of larger size because I'm slow at hand quilting, and don't like to machine quilt larger projects. I believe quilts are made to be used and loved, and enjoyed -- not carefully rolled away in cupboards or stored under bedspreads.... I'm not good at following a pattern or making multiple blocks the same -- I get bored. (To see more of what I generally do, you can check out my blog quiltpixie)

I've made pieced letters and done liberated quilting off and on for some time... I struggle to get pieced letters together into a smallish size and into words -- often having way to many seams to be useful as I "forget" to leave them as blocks and try to space them too close together... I also think nothing of adding a little here and a little there to the background to get the "right angle", only to have a real mess of seams when I position the next letter. I'm hoping by joining this blog and group to stay focused enough to work through this stumbling block. To that end I'm planning on a word/phrase quilt. It'll likely be a wallhanging size, but whatever, quilts have a way of developing as I make them...

I do have a set of words in mind, but I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try them all -- "bubble bubble, toil and trouble, fire burn and cauldron bubble" from Hamlet -- and may opt for others. I'm starting making individual letters and will see as they progress what they turn into :-)

1 comment:

Tonya Ricucci said...

wonderful to have you in class, Pix. so the goal is for you to work with letters seamlessly. hee hee hee.