Saturday, October 11, 2008

Ideas

I have several ideas but I can't seem to get anything going. I made one house. but it really doesn't "speak" to me. My idea was to use the black and white to make the Christmas fabric pop but it didn't seem to work.














I want to make some Christmas houses but today nothing is working for me. I am still trying to come up with some ideas. I am not giving up on the idea of using the black and white fabric. I do like to use a bit of it in my work. I also have some neat fabric from my mother that would make a great background for Christmas houses.












5 comments:

Donna said...

what about all the rooves being B&W? or all the doors?

I love some of the fabrics you're picturing and am sure as you start flinging them together they'll really sparkle :-)

Colleen and Jason said...

I love the Santa in the window! One thought about the block you posted is that the blue roof is too similar to the background, that is what made it blend for me. If you did some bright red or green or gold (or combination thereof) you might find there is more pop. I actually liked the white/black dots, with a brighter colored roof I think it would be neato.

I hate to say it, but you might need to cut some fabric and lay them together to see what speaks to you. I am sure it will be lovely.

Twisted Quilts said...

I really like both of these suggestions. I like my Christmas fabrics and I think I can do something with them. Mocha Monsterpants is right, the blue roof just gets lost.

Tonya Ricucci said...

I didn't even realize what wasn't working for me in that block, but Mocha nailed it. yup, the roof just blended right in. More contrast will work great. I love that snowy scene in the bottom pic and the gingerbread men - fun fabrics.

jmb_craftypickle said...

When I was making houses for the summer class, I liked setting a few fabrics together (before I cut them) to make sure that there was enough zing between them. Then after you find some combos that you like, you can mix doors for roofs (rooves?) and things like that. Just don't give up on it...you could always save that blue roof by embelishing with some eye-catching stitching with floss...???